Message from the Founder
When we first created these Natural Medicine programs in 1989, and received full licensure for the University of Natural Medicine in 1996, it was with a vision and purpose. The dream was to create a University that would be one of the foremost educational institutions for Natural Medicine in the world today. I am honored to say that through the collaborative efforts of our dedicated international network of professors, clinicians/practitioners, and a distinguished Board of Directors, and our friendly and professional administration and staff, we have fulfilled many of our goals. We continue to grow and expand our student base and offerings through new programs and worldwide opportunities for education.
Globally, UNM has now established itself, by:
- Being one of the foremost educational institutions for Natural Medicine in the world through distance learning, practical training and clinical externship.
- Offering training programs that integrate healing practices and knowledge from all disciplines and cultures.
- Providing availability and affordability of education in Natural Medicine for people from all cultures and socio-economics.
The following is a list of some of these opportunities offered through the University of Natural Medicine:
- Incoming credit and resulting advanced placement through academic, clinical and life/work experience may in most cases apply toward our degree and diploma offerings.
- The most in-depth and comprehensive programs of integrative and holistic health education available today.
- Over 10 diploma programs (Nutrition, Herbology, Homeopathy, Aromatherapy, Ayurveda, Iridology, and many more), that may be taken independently or as part of a degree program. This provides students with the opportunity to become competent and credentialed in a particular modality or field and implement this knowledge into a healthcare practice immediately while working toward an advanced degree, if they choose.
- A distinguished faculty of educators and practitioners providing more than 50 professors nationally and many more in our global affiliate institutions and centers.
- Programs can be entirely independent study by design or may include seminars, practical training, clinical externships, mentorship and/or research in the field.
- In designing custom degree curriculums with the individual, we clearly understand how important a first-rate academic foundation is to our students to help them attain their academic and professional goals, vocation, and life plan.
It is with great pride that I invite you to become a student and experience first-hand the academic benefits offered by a University that is fully committed to the freedom of choice in healthcare through holistic health education, research and clinical applications. Our intention is to create competent and credible practitioners to be of service through education and healthcare by empowering individuals to take charge of their own health and well-being of body, mind and spirit.
Mark Dargan Smith, N.D., Ph.D.
Chairman of the Board, Chancellor and Dean